Occupy Cleveland members show up to support bomb suspects

Dozens of members of Occupy Cleveland showed up at a Cleveland courthouse to support the five people charged in connection with an alleged plot to blow up a northeast Ohio bridge.

The five suspects — 21-year-old Connor Stevens, 24-year-old Joshua Stafford (aka “Skully”), 26-year-old Douglas Wright (aka “Cyco), 20-year-old Brandon Baxter (aka “Skabby”) and 37-year-old Anthony Hayne (aka “Tony” & “Billy”) – pleaded not guilty during their arraignment Monday morning.

The suspects had the charges — conspiracy and attempted use of explosive material to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce — read to them in open court.

In all, about 50 members of the Occupy Cleveland group went into courthouse. After the arrests were made, Occupy Cleveland said the five suspects were associated with the group, but they were “in no way representing or acting on behalf of Occupy Cleveland.”

A man in the group – believed to be a father of one of the suspects — was overheard asking people to pray for the suspect.

The city of Cleveland decided to not renew the group’s permit a day after the arrests, but did not say if the decision was related to the bomb plot.

The FBI said the five self-proclaimed anarchists came up with a plan to blow up the Route 82 bridge over the Cuyahoga National Forest in Brecksville. They were arrested after allegedly pushing a button they thought would detonate a C4 bomb placed at the base of the bridge on April 30.

Read more here.

What’s the matter with Maryland?

As the clock struck midnight on sine die, the adjournment of the Maryland General Assembly’s 90-day legislative session, the traditional shouts of joy, smiles, and ticker tape parade were noticeably absent from the State House. Instead, confusion, turmoil and dysfunction filled each office and corridor in and around Annapolis. The reason: failure to meet the only constitutional duty the Maryland legislature and governor have — to balance the state budget.

Petty political games, tax hikes and gambling held them up from performing the work of the people, the mainstream media said. But the real missing piece in Maryland’s legislative equation was the leader of our state, Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley.

O’Malley is running for president. He is a second-term governor and chairman of the Democratic Governors Association. He is also willing to do anything, short of jumping into I-95 traffic, to garner national media attention. Between his appearances on “Morning Joe” and “Face the Nation,” O’Malley appears to have forgotten about hardworking taxpayers here in Maryland.

Since his re-election in 2010, O’Malley has mentally checked out of the state, using our annual legislative session not to govern Maryland, but as a soapbox for national causes. This year was no different. While most Marylanders still feel like they’re in the Great Recession and want serious economic reforms, O’Malley used the first few weeks of the session to push gay marriage — an obvious ploy to keep up with 2016 rival Gov. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., who passed it last year. Days after the bill signing, he traveled to South Carolina, where he bashed Mitt Romney at a Democratic Party event in Myrtle Beach.

Meanwhile, legislative leaders from his own party began to openly grumble about his lack of participation back home. O’Malley’s carelessness was apparent when he continued to advocate for an extremely unpopular gas tax hike even after he was told by both House Speaker Michael Busch, D, and Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr., D, that it was dead on arrival.

O’Malley also failed to manage the priorities in both the state Senate and House. After it was clear legislative leaders weren’t willing to compromise on the budget, O’Malley was too disengaged to force them to the bargaining table.

The final result is embarrassing. The governor was too busy running for president to accomplish the one thing he was hired to do: balance the budget. This turn of events begs the question: If he can’t even manage a legislature in Annapolis, where members of his own party outnumber Republicans by more than 2-to-1, how could he possibly handle the intensely partisan United States Congress?

Read more here.

Mexican Congressional Hopeful Bares Skin in Campaign Posters

A female candidate of the leftist Party of the Democratic Revolution, or PRD, posed semi-nude for posters in her “provocative” campaign for a seat in Mexico’s lower house.

Natalia Juárez, 34, told Efe Monday that she posed topless with another six women to launch a “provocative, different and unprejudiced” campaign here in the western state of Jalisco.

“It’s an attempt to run a campaign that is different and cheerful, but also an invitation for people to reveal who they are and commit themselves,” the University of Guadalajara professor said.

In one shot used in her campaign, Juárez appears at the center of a group of six women of different ages who cover their breasts with their right hand while raising their left hand.

Underneath appears the headline: “Dare to join a new, unprejudiced nation-building project!”

The photos were posted on the busiest streets of Guadalajara, capital of Jalisco and Mexico’s second city, and will also be used to illustrate the leaflets that the candidate’s campaign team will hand out to the public.

The idea of the campaign is “to make an impact and not go unnoticed” among voters and use to the fullest the scant finances that she has available, the candidate said.

Read more here.

Massachusetts to ban school bake sales

You are too fat! In fact, you’re not only fat, you’re out of shape. Check that – you’re not only fat and out of shape, but we need the government to whip our butts back into line and eat healthy, healthy healthy!

The solution? No cupcakes for you at school!

Boston Herald:

Bake sales, the calorie-laden standby cash-strapped classrooms, PTAs and booster clubs rely on, will be outlawed from public schools as of Aug. 1 as part of new no-nonsense nutrition standards, forcing fundraisers back to the blackboard to cook up alternative ways to raise money for kids.

At a minimum, the nosh clampdown targets so-called “competitive” foods – those sold or served during the school day in hallways, cafeterias, stores and vending machines outside the regular lunch program, including bake sales, holiday parties and treats dished out to reward academic achievement. But state officials are pushing schools to expand the ban 24/7 to include evening, weekend and community events such as banquets, door-to-door candy sales and football games.

The Departments of Public Health and Education contend clearing tables of even whole milk and white bread is necessary to combat an obesity epidemic affecting a third of the state’s 1.5 million students. But parents argue crudites won’t cut it when the bills come due on athletic equipment and band trips.

“If you want to make a quick $250, you hold a bake sale,” said Sandy Malec, vice president of the Horace Mann Elementary School PTO in Newtonville.

Maura Dawley of Scituate said the candy bars her 15-year-old son brought to school to help pay for a youth group trip to Guatemala “sold like wildfire.” She worries the ban “would seriously affect the bottom line of the PTOs.

“The goal is to raise money,” Dawley said. “You’re going to be able to sell pizza. You’re not going to get that selling apples and bananas. It’s silly.”

Bowl-a-Thon Group Touts Raising Funds for 14-Year-Old’s Abortion

The National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF), who last month raised over $400,000 for abortions through its Bowl-a-Thon, touted that it provided money for a 14-year-old’s abortion as part of the group’s “real stories of abortion access.”

On its website in a post entitled, “Getting an abortion means getting a second chance,” NNAF highlights the story of Darcy, a 14-year-old who terminated her pregnancy with the help of the group’s “George Tiller Memorial Fund.”

“I’m pretty smart for 14, I think,” Darcy writes. “I love biology, especially the stuff on animals. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be a vet — I definitely want to start my own practice so that I make enough money and when I have kids I can be home with them,” she said.

After finding out she was pregnant, the girl writes she did not want to tell her mother, “But in the state where I live, minors can’t get an abortion without permission from a parent or a judge,” she said. “So I did end up telling her.”

Darcy said a clinic put her in touch with NNAF because the “abortion was going to cost more than our rent.”

“There’s no way that me and my mom could have come up with that much,” she said.

“Getting my abortion means I’m going to get a second chance. And I want to make it count.”

NNAF draws attention to Darcy as one of “the real stories of abortion access,” and how the group is fulfilling its mission “to make sure that all women and girls can get the abortions they seek.”

Read more here.

Cher Goes on Twitter Rant Against Romney & His ‘Racist Homophobic Women-Hating Tea-Bagger Masters’

Home About Contact Us Bookstore Donate Columnists Subscribe Downloads Horowitz Archives FPM Archives Occupy Wall Street: The Communist Movement Reborn

The Freedom Center’s new pamphlet, “Occupy Wall Street: The Communist Movement Reborn,” written by David Horowitz and John Perazzo, is an invaluable weapon against the radical Left’s renewed assault on America. The pamphlet exposes the roots, leaders and hidden agendas of the Occupy Wall Street movement and its poisonous ideology. Watch the video below for more information about the pamphlet, which can be ordered here.

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/05/08/occupy-wall-street-the-communist-movement-reborn-2/

‘Jesus’ T-Shirt Student Reportedly Taken Out of School

Last week, The Blaze told you about William Swinimer, a 12-grade student from Nova Scotia, Canada, who was suspended after wearing a t-shirt that reads, “Life is wasted without Jesus.” Following the five-day suspension from Forest Height Community School last week for continuing to wear the article of clothing after being told by staffers not to, the teenager was back at school today — but only briefly.

This time, rather than being given the boot by administrators, William’s father, John, pulled him out of classes. While the teen was supposed to attend a special school-sponsored session for students that centered upon how to express beliefs in a way that is respectful to all, his father said that the school should be teaching only basic courses that do not involve religion.

“He will not attend this school unless they are having reading, writing and arithmetic — good old-fashioned academics,” Swininer said, as he held a copy of the New Testament Bible. “When they’re having forums, when they’re having other extra-curricular activity, he will not attend that school.”

The Toronto Sun has more, including quotes that seem to indicate that the student will be finishing his final year of high school at a different educational facility:

…[William] arrived on campus early Monday morning with his father, who abruptly pulled him out of the school, saying he doesn’t want anything to do with the talks.

“The taxpayer is paying for him to learn his academics as well as the other students and I am not standing for any of this stuff.”

The Halifax Chronicle-Herald reports John Swinimer stormed across the parking lot, announced he was pulling his son out of school, waved a copy of the New Testament at reporters and refused to answer questions. […]

When asked by reporters whether Swinimer will come back to the school when the talks are over, John said: “I’m making a statement here, I’m not answering questions.” […]

“William will no longer be attending this school. He will be furthering his education outside this school,” Varrick Day told QMI Agency.

Read more here.

Can Facebook’s child-porn explosion be stopped?

(EXPLICIT CONTENT: This report contains graphic details of sexual abuse of children as it has appeared in numerous locations on Facebook. WND immediately reported images of child pornography and child sexual abuse to the FBI. Censored screenshots published are among the mildest of those found.)

In a dark attic, a little girl, no older than 9, appears with a distrustful look on her face as she wears only a training bra. She glimpses the camera out of the corner of her eye. The many comments under her photo are telling:

“So cute!” one man declares.

“Oh yes, that’s right,” says another.

She is only one of 40 other preteen girls on a single profile who are dressed in sexy swimsuits, bras or nothing at all.

It is just one photo among thousands of explicit images and videos of child sexual exploitation – all available on the social network 901 million users have come to know and love, Facebook. Most of America’s users have no idea that the social network is home to an enormous collection of unreported child pornography and sexual violence.

As WND previously reported, most of these predators aren’t merely looking at child pornography images. A 2007 Federal Bureau of Prisons study in which psychologists conducted an in-depth survey of online offenders’ sexual behavior, revealed that 85 percent of convicted Internet offenders said they had committed acts of sexual abuse against minors, from inappropriate touching to rape.

The U.S. Department of Justice explains:

Unfortunately, the child pornography market exploded in the advent of the Internet and advanced digital technology. The Internet provides ground for individuals to create, access, and share child sexual abuse images worldwide at the click of a button. … Child pornography offenders can connect on Internet networks and forums to share their interests, desires, and experiences abusing children in addition to selling, sharing, and trading images.

Moreover, online communities have promoted communication between child pornography offenders, both normalizing their interest in children and desensitizing them to the physical and psychological damages inflicted on child victims. Online communities may also attract or promote new individuals to get involved in the sexual exploitation of children.

As part of an undercover news investigation, WND used alias Facebook profiles and located dozens of child-porn images after “friending” many likely pedophiles and predators who trade thousands of pornographic photos on the social network. WND immediately reported graphic images of children and sex abuse to the FBI.

Other photos and videos of young children wearing G-strings and posing provocatively were reported to Facebook first to test the social network’s response.

Early in the investigation, Facebook was slow to remove photos or profiles – and, in some cases, didn’t appear to act at all. After three weeks of observation, some newly reported profiles were removed within 48 hours. However, most explicit videos and interest groups remain on the social network today, and new pedophile profiles are astonishingly simple to locate.

Read more here.