SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The California Senate voted Friday to suspend three lawmakers caught up in separate criminal cases after the latest one to be hauled into court refused to step down, the most serious house-cleaning action the chamber has taken in more than a century.
- California senate suspends three lawmakers in criminal probes Reuters
- Scandals plague Democrats in California capital Associated Press
- California state senator arrested in FBI sweep Reuters
- California lawmaker faces gun, corruption charges Associated Press
- Indicted California state senator ends Secretary of State campaign Reuters
Friday’s 28-1 vote in the 40-member chamber came amid one of the most severe ethical crises in modern times for the Legislature in the nation’s most populous state. Later in the day, Gov. Jerry Brown also called on the three lawmakers to resign.